Sunday, January 27, 2008

Barn at Infirmary Mound Park

A couple of weekends back I went out shooting while my family relaxed around the house. With the bad weather that week, I was itching to get outside and shoot.

Naturally, the day before I had seen several Red-Tailed Hawks in various locations. So of course there were none to be seen that whole afternoon while I was out. My search ended up at Infirmary Mound park. I figured if I couldn't spot a hawk, at least I could hike at the park and get some shots of the ice.

What I ended up shooting (among other things) was this great old barn. You could tell it used to be painted red, but the weathered wood was showing through. And I was there as the sun was getting low on the horizon, so I had great light to work with.

The photo was just the type of shot I have been thinking about lately. I saw an article on a sort of pseudo HDR technique, so I gave it a try. I like the result and in the process I picked up several good Photoshop tips.

Barn at Infirmary Mound

So how did I do it? Well, I found the link to the technique at David Ziser's DigitalProTalk blog. To read about this technique and the free plugin, follow the link to Enigma Studios. I will say that I expanded on the technique a bit to produce this image. Give it a try and don't be afraid to experiment!

No comments: