Saturday, December 6, 2008

Heron at Sunset


Heron at Sunset, originally uploaded by the patter.

This heron was in a pond where I work. Well, I mean I don't work in the pond...it's on some land my employer owns. So I grabbed my 28-300mm lens - on another day I might have grabbed my ancient 300mm 5.6 manual prime. But lately I've been experimenting to see what I can get out of my lenses in different situations.

Anyway, I was half expecting to only get one frame, if that, before the thing flew away. Instead, I was able to shoot quite a few frames in t

hree different positions. This is a good example of how moving a few feet from your original position can completely change the image. Below are a couple of shots from the first two locations. The one at the top of this post is my favorite, which came out of the third (and final) position I used.
























In the first couple of shots, I could tell the setting sun was giving me some nice reds and oranges where you wouldn't normally see them, but it wasn't until I moved to the final spot with the heron being back-lit by the sunset that I was really happy with the shot. So if you have the opportunity, keep moving and looking for ways to improve the shot!

No comments: